Saturday, January 21, 2012

Sashiko

I stumbed upon sashiko in The City Quilter which is the local NYC quilt shop. Sashiko is a traditional type of Japenese embroidery practiced for hundreds of years. The Japanese would sashiko on their kimonos, housewares, and more. It's incredibly simple and very satisfying to do. The kits that I got already had the pattern printed on them and then I just stitched over it. After I finished both of the squares, I found some nice coordinating batiks for each of the pieces and then created simple pillows by adding a border, backing, then stuffing them. I decided to give them to my mother for her reading chair in her bedroom.


Detail shots:

I got my friends hooked onto sashiko too! Both Michael and Caitlin have found sashiko to be very enjoyable and relaxing and have finished at least two squares (Michael most likely more like 5)!

No comments:

Post a Comment