Saturday, June 12, 2010

Neptune Quilt: My first real quilting endeavor

Last summer, I decided I wanted to make a quilt or something with this ADORABLE line of fabric called Neptune by Tula Pink (for Moda, of course). This, by far, is my favorite fabric I've ever worked with! SO CUTE! Anyways, I wanted something to do while we were in St. John on vacation. This was very fitting.

It was made from a layer cake (40 10" squares), and 1/4 yd. of 4 other fabrics for the 'prairie triangles' going around the edge. The top was completely pieced together by hand in a span of about 1 1/2 weeks (the other 1/2 week was spent helping my mother with her table runner project). Crazy.

Here's a picture (actually at La Mer, the villa we stayed at in St. John) of all the squares lined up in the way they're pieced together as I was trying to figure out the order. That took awhile...


A close up of the fabric (AMAZING!):


Here's the top finished (back at home on my bed):


Laid out on the futon in the apartment. It actually matches the room/futon very nicely. I plan on making a matching throw pillow or two with the extra fabric I've recently come across:


More close-up... I ended up just quilting in the ditch. It was wayyyy to much otherwise. It was quilted with my favorite Juki in the costume shop at NYU.


A picture of the back, which came about in an interesting (involving hard decisions and awkward fabric amounts), and in the end, very fun way. You can also see the 'prairie triangles' more here too.


A close of up the adorableness of the under the sea 'toile'. There's an octopus somewhere around too. :)


All folded up nicely on the futon. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment